Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Ekeko - Day 11

Today was not exactly an exciting day to blog about, although I think the students and I enjoyed it. We had our first really beautiful spring day, and I wanted to be able to enjoy it with my classes, so I rearranged my lesson plans a bit to let us go outside all class period.

During the first half of class, students read Chapter 6 in pairs and answered some questions in English. Some were comprehension questions, but I tried to focus on the question types they will see on their SBAC test, since our school is very academically focused and we are all supposed to be supporting the English and Math departments with our own classes. If your school is like that, here are some question ideas: Ekeko SBAC questions

I will say that today was the first day the reading seemed easy for the students. I think being outside cleared their minds! I would highly recommend reading outdoors with your classes.

In the second half of class, I let students play a grammar game for review. Unlike many CI teachers out there, I do teach verb conjugation alongside novels and stories. Although not ideal, my students will move on into an entirely grammar-based class in Spanish 2, so I feel I must give them at least enough background not to be confused and overwhelmed next year. So here is a free bonus game: Conjudados

In this game, students have a stack of cards with a verb conjugation on one side and a set of questions on the other. They play in groups of two. One student studies the card for 15 seconds. Then, they roll two dice to get a number between 2 and 12. The other student then asks the corresponding question. It's not exactly inspiring, but the nice thing is that it is technically input, although not comprehensible or contextualized. At least you're not giving them repetitions of incorrect output.

No comments:

Post a Comment