Monday, March 6, 2017

Ekeko - Day 5

As a fun starter to today, we learned a bit about Bolivian clothing. I reviewed the clothing words the students know with TPR, and then showed a few slides from the Power Point of pictures from the Teacher's Guide. To make things a bit more interactive, I showed this super-short video clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9satYjoN0JQ of a Bolivian mother wrapping up her baby in an aguayo, and then we practiced. Using my aguayo plus a tablecloth and a couple of blankets I brought from home, students wrapped up old baby dolls cholita style.

A few students were shocked by the way the mother swung the baby up on her back, so I brought out my classic question: "But we would never do something like that, right?" When phrased like that, the students quickly saw the similarities between the aguayo and a baby sling, and between the mother swinging her baby and a U.S. parent tossing a kid up in the air during playtime.

Next, I asked students to finish the second half of chapter 3 in partners using a list of comprehension questions I pulled from the teacher's guide. Students also wrote a two-sentence summary of the events in Chapter 3.

At the end of class, I used a quick exit ticket to make sure everyone is keeping up with the plot thus far. I just asked a few basic comprehension questions in English and asked for some character descriptions. Available here: Exit Ticket Ch. 1-3 It took about 8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment